Advanced Football Manager
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Advanced Football Manager

The Advanced Football Manager Forum!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

League one - season review

Go down 
+2
Rags
Scott - Bordeaux
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

League one - season review Empty
PostSubject: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 12:28 pm

OK, I know its not the official end of the season, but I thought, as im at work, bored and the season is "almost" over, id do a write up of both leagues, starting with League one.

League 1
One of the closest esms leagues ive ever seen, infact, it IS teh closest, goals have been hard to come by in this league. Withh all teams having played 11 league games, not one yet has scored double figures for the season! This has had a major impact on the results, and hence the tightness in this league.
However, there has still been loads of slip ups, aswell as surprises, so I will try and outline them all here!

Sevilla

Sevilla, managed by Andie Glen, were one of my favourites to dominate league 1, as well as any other competition that came their way. Andie easily inheritted the best team in the game, with some absolutely superb attacking wingers in J_Navas 21 R spa 2 4 21 11 and D_Capel 21 L spa 1 3 21 13. Add into that the fact their midfield across the board is immense, rotating players looked a given for Andies team.
Andie is an astute manager, and realised he needed to add to his defence, and secured the services of J_Carragher 30 RLC eng 1 21 6 10 in the first ever AFM auction for a very good price of just over 15mil.
Andie also got straight into the transfer market with the following deals;

G_Nelson signed for Sevilla in exchange for A_Duscher and 9,000,000
G_Nelson 29 RC net 1 4 11 20

PART EX DEAL
From FC Twente to Sevilla
I_Maaroufi 32 L mor 2 3 20 5
J_Heubach 30 L hol 2 21 5 6
L_Wilkshire 22 RC aus 1 3 19 4
From Sevilla to FC Twente
Adriano 24 RLC bra 2 12 19 4
F_Fazio 26 RL arg 2 18 8 3
Defender 19 C eng 2 17 10 3 (youth)
Midfielder 16 RL eng 2 8 18 9 (youth)

With the above deals, he sacrificed a couple of half decent youths to secure that extra strength in depth needed for a fully rotatable squad. Things looked bright for the spanish outfit, and they were my tip, along with Boca to go far.

Things didnt however go to plan. While they didnt get off to an amazingly bad start, a lot of draws saw them quickly sink to the lower part of the table. Andie, being the "geek" (sorry haha) that he is, studied results, tweaked his tactics, and this has saw him slowly rise out of the depths. While on paper he is still only 4th bottom, points wise, he is 5 points in the safety zone, and, as thi sgame has shown, 5 points can take some time to amass!!!

The major plus point for Andie and Sevilla has been in the league cup. Andie is now in the final, with the chance to finish the season on a high, and with the squad to do just that, im expecting a very good cup final game! And he once again will be my top tip for next season.

Add onto that winning the best player in the yth draw mid season, Andie looks in good shape to take these lads upwards.

Sevilla key player - D_Capel 21 L spa 1 3 21 13 (two goals and three assists make this young lad worth his weight in gold)

Sevilla star of the future A_Pato 15 C bra 1 2 7 19 without a doubt a potential mega star

Last edited by Scott - Bordeaux on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.advancedfootballmanager.co.uk
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Boca Juniors - Malky McKay

Well, where to start with this club? My tip to bang the goals in and win the league. My tip to destroy all the others with some amazing attacking football. My tip for AFM domination.

They sit bottom.

What has happened to Boca Juniors? At the start of the season, Malky made some inspired signings, no doubt making the biggest transfer we have seen so far in AFM with the capture of Arshavin from Zenit.

Malky then went on te secure numerous attacking midfielders, making Boca look extremely dangerous on the attack. However, I dont think I have seen them yet go A whilst deploying the whole lot of them, which is something I hope to see soon.

Bocas transfer history

Arshavin signed for Boca Juniors
(A_Arshavin 27 C rus 1 6 20 15)
J_Garcia + S_Battaglia signed for FC Zenit
(J_Garcia 21 GK arg 22 1 1 1)
(S_Battaglia 24 RL arg 1 7 20 4)

C_Penneteau signed for Boca from scout for a fee of 9,869308
(C_Penneteau 25 RC arg 1 6 16 14)

M_Feindouno signed for Boca from scout for a fee of 12,494084
(M_Feindouno 24 RL arg 1 8 17 13)

S_Campbell signed for Boca in an exchange deal with Bristol Rovers
(S_Campbell 25 RL sco 1 7 20 11)
L_Gracian signed for Bristol Rovers in an exhange deal with Boca Juniors
(L_Gracian 21 C arg 1 9 19 4)

B_Swallow signed for Boca from Bristol
(B_Swallow 17 RLC eng 1 3 17 11)
F_Roncaglia signed from Boca for Bristol Rovers
(F_Roncaglia 16 C arg 2 17 5 3 21)

Just looking at those deals really brings back to me the attacking force Boca brought in pre-season.

Season 1 round up

It wasnt to be this year, with Boca only 3 points away from safety, they arent 100% relegated yet, but they have shown no sign of the form needed to get out of the drop zone so far. However, the squad available to them cant be underestimated, so I wouldnt say they have gone just yet.

Next season

I think, providing the changes to goalkeepers is done correctly, that Boca should indeed prove an attacking force. after all, how many more goals would they have scored this season if the changes were already done? Be it in League 1 or 2, I would expect them to dramatically improve upon what they have achieved this season

Key player - A_Arshavin 27 C rus 1 6 20 15 (over 30 passes to his name, along with 14 shots, I would expect a lot more assists/goals once the keeper changes come in.

Future star - B_McKay 15 RLC sco 1 4 10 18 this young lad has the stats to become a great force fo rthe argentinians
Back to top Go down
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 4:27 pm

FC Zenit - derek Purvis

Zenit are a team that seemingly slip under the radar. With Derek being a quiet manager, not much is know about his personal intent or the direction he intends to steer the russian giants in. What is known, is that Zenit are in the drop zone and need points desperately.

They have a strong first team, but do seem to lack any real depth in certain positions that is essential if you are to win when resting your main players. They do have quite a nice youth set up, which, in a couple of seasons, will give them more depth than most im sure. However, in the immediate future they are lacking.

What is even more surprising, is the fact Zenit have over 24mil in the bank, as well as having two remaining scouts to use. The use of this cash could have made a big difference to their season 1 outcome, but now, having seen the EOS auction, I am sure he is eying up his options. Being the richest side in the game, Derek can be confident of winning exactly who he wants from the choice of players. Whether he is prepared to use all his cash to do that is not known.

Zenit transfer history

R_Beerens signed for Zenit from unwanted scout mission for 3,500,505
(R_Beerens 20 RLC net 1 9 7 17)

I_Saenko signed for Zenit from scout for a fee of 2,397,502
(I_Saenko 23 ruc RLC 1 9 5 16)

J_Garcia + S_Battaglia signed for FC Zenit in the deal that saw Arshavin move to Boca Juniors.
(J_Garcia 21 GK arg 22 1 1 1)
(S_Battaglia 24 RL arg 1 7 20 4)
A_Arshavin signed for Boca Juniors
(A_Arshavin 27 C rus 1 6 20 15)

So while Derek hasnt been innactive, his signings havent really blown the russian supporters minds. However, im sure their pick of an EOS auction player will wet their appetitites!

Next Season

Well, who knows what next season holds for this side. One thing is for sure, their best two forwards are retiring, and im nor certian their back up will be enough to secure goals next term. I would expect some negotiations to occur in the off season!

Key Player - A_Anyukov 20 RLC rus 2 21 5 4 (while not a mega star, his age, rating and pure versatility make him an excellent asset for the future.
)
Future star - Fabiano 18 GK bra 21 1 1 1 (with Zenits keeper aging, Fabiano will no doubt be called upon sooner rather than later, especially whilst still elligable for EOS bonuses)
Back to top Go down
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Grasshoppers Zurich - Bryn

Arguably the most consistent sheeter in AFM, conistently 2 minutes before the deadline!!!! I have never known somebody always leave it so late EVERY week hahaha. But what about his form on the pitch?

Well, they sit one point off top, but with only one point seperating the top 4, it isnt as simple as just overtaking one team.

Unlike most teams, Grasshoppers have seen little change personnel wise, with the only addition being C_Smalling 17 eng LC 1 19 7 9 18 800 800 800 800 from an unwanted scout mission for 20mil, a very good buy indeed. Infact, he is their second highest goalscorer!

Other than that, Bryngar has gone about his business quietly, though how quiet he will be if he wins the title im not sure!

Next season

I believe Grasshoppers will again be a contender next year, with their managers astute buys, and a decent amount of EOS cash coming their way, things look very promising for the swiss outfit.
Back to top Go down
Rags
Sunday League
Sunday League

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 2:11 pm

Good read Scotty boy, keep it up kidda.
Back to top Go down
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 7:02 pm

Rags wrote:
Good read Scotty boy, keep it up kidda.

lol when i get time ill do the other 4!
Back to top Go down
andieglen
Sunday League
Sunday League
andieglen

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 12:03 am

must admit a great read.
Back to top Go down
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:14 am

Leicester City - Lee Shaw

THE surprise package of season 1 has to be Leicester City. When Lee agreed to take over them, I will admit I didnt hold much hope for him, and had him down as a likely contender for relegation. The sole reason for this was because 90% of managers in AFM at the start had a history of success in esms+ gaming. Lee came in as a complete newcomer, and not only did he survive, he has positively flourished, with his side sitting top of the league with now, two games to go.

Transfer history

Leicester started off in AFM by securing the signature of two young scouts, listed below

H_Lansbury signed for Leicester City from scout for a fee of 12,493,319
(H_Lansbury 17 LC eng 1 7 18 6)

F_Brandy signed for Leicester City from scout for a fee of 9,373,320
(F_Brandy 19 RLC eng 1 6 5 18)

What happened next COULD have proved costly, but it actually looks a shrewd move. Lee sold one of his best forwards to Boca. P_Dickov was due to retire at the end of the season, so Lee cashed in, whilst Boca were hoping Dickov would get some goals for them.
In the end, the deal proved right for Leicester, and not great for Boca.

P_Dickov has signed for Boca from Leicester City for a fee of 5,000,000
P_Dickov 35 C sco 1 3 3 21 14 0 300 300 300 351 3 1 185 0 0 0 0 0 12 0 0 0 0 0 100

Season Review

So why has Lee had the success he has had? I am actually not sure! Looking over his results, there doesnt seem to be anything that stands out as the key to any success he has had. I think, the main reason Lee has done well is he has an open mind to the game. A few managers have came in, and for them they have to re-adjust their thinking from game to game, Lee however has only this game to look at, so his mind could possibly be more AFM focussed than most.

Best Player - _Fryatt 21 RC eng 2 3 4 21 (a higghly talented forward, lee's top scorer should be 22 rated next season after he recieves his bonus, meaning with the keeper changes he could be a highly talented pleyer, and key team member.)

Future star - S_Westman 15 RL eng 1 18 3 3 (a key member in the first team, already Leicesters highest tackling player, he will only go from strength to strength!

Next seasons thoughts

A lot depends on how Lee prepares his squad for next season. With it looking likely he could win the league, cash will be present at the Walkers Stadium, if he spends it wisely with some key additions, Leicester could be even better next year!
Back to top Go down
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:29 am

Coventry City - John Raggett

Coventry City, a team which has a highly talented manager in charge, have just found their way in this game.

They have one of the best defences anywhere, with a good midfield and attack, as soon as John really gets his team firing, this team should be top 3 every year.

Transfer History

John started by snapping up Santi Cazorla in the first auction for a minor sum of 6.1 mil!

S_Cazorla RLC 23 spa 1 5 19 8
signed to John Raggett (Coventry) for 6.1mil

He also signed the young lad below from an unwanted scout mission

fwd 16 C bul 1 6 7 14 to Coventry from CSKA unwanted scout
John paid a fee of 900k for his services

This season

As mention, his slow start more than any other factor made Coventry lose sight of the learly leaders. He has however made up some of the lost ground, and if he can get 6 points from the last two games that could leave him anywhere, as could 0 points from the last two!

I expect him to make some crucial signings in the off season, he is a shrewd negotiator, so I would expect some nig naes coming his way.

Star Player - M_Mifsud 20 C eng 1 3 10 20 (not his best statted player by any means, but the young forward has been Coventrys shining light, I havent checked, but with 6 goals he may well be the AFM leading score at this moment in time)

Future star - A_Marshall 16 GK eng 19 1 1 1 (there doesnt seem to be a lot of youth prospects in Johns camp, with this young keeper being the only real lad with star potential. Had John sacrificed a season or two, and placed this one in his first team, he could well have become great with all the EOS bonuses, that hasnt happened though, and I doubt it will with his side looking capable of winning trophies.

Next season

Hmmm, next season for John will be interesting. I would expect him to be in the top 3, and im sure he would agree with that. Can he do it? Im not sure, I feel he would need an extra striker, and possibly another midfielder to gain depth, but thats me. John is fully capable fo forming a plan, and im sure we will all watch in wonder as it takes place.
Back to top Go down
Rags
Sunday League
Sunday League

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 2:35 pm

Great read Scott but I see my youth prospects lie on the wings and area Coventry have always struggled in the past:

A_Gunnarsson 18 R ice 1 3 19 4 12 0 300 334 673 313
R_Middleby 19 RL aus 1 4 20 4 28 0 300 331 565 335

Looking for big things from both these young wizards.
Back to top Go down
shawry - LCFC
Need to practice
Need to practice
shawry - LCFC

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 9:34 pm

good read mate totaly agree wot u said,think i lost the first game,then started picking up from then and never look back.

really enjoyed my first season and look forward to next,great bunch of lads,come on u blues!!!!
Back to top Go down
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:13 am

FC Twente - Harry Kleinjan

Its been a slog of a season for the dutch manager. At this stage of the game, Twente sit in the bottom three, with it still entirely possible they could go down. A win for any of them could do wonders for their season, so im sure all eyes will be on the last two league games.

Where though, did it go wrong for Twente? They have a large squad, one of the largest first team squads in the game. And it isnt full of wasters either, with some good players throught the side. In their manager, they have a very good tactician, one of the best I know, who is something of an esms legend in my eyes. So, just what has happened?

Has it again been a case of a manager used to certain engines being unable to adapt? It could be, but Harry is a clever chap, im sure, like some others he will have noticed what works and what doesnt. I personally feel his league position is solely due to lack of goals, 4 scored from twelve games isnt good enough whatsoever, and thats the difference between the lower clubs and higher ones. Goals.

Next season once keepers are tweaked, I think he will get it together, though if he doesnt, maybe his reputation will be on the line ;-)

Transfer history

J_Kappelhof signed for FC Twente from scout for a fee of 4,704,599
(J_Kappelhof 19 C net 1 4 16 11)

E_Armenteros signed for FC Twente from Sevilla for a fee of 250k
(E_Armenteros 36 C arg 1 3 5 17)

R_Babel has signed for FC Twente from scout for a fee of 19,393,468
(R_Babel 22 LC net 1 6 7 20)

PART EX DEAL
M_Green 19 GK eng 21 1 1 1 goes to FC Twente
N_Michajlov 21 GK bul 21 1 1 1 + 2 mil. goes to Bristol

As you can see, Harry spent the bulk of his budget on Ryan Babel, a deal which hasnt really paid off with the forward scoring nowhere near enough. Other than that, Twente have spent the rest of their budget on players who dont really catch the eye.

Next season

Next season will be intriguing, to find out definatively if Harrys form is down to the goals issue, or himself!

Star Player

In a team ful of underachievers, it is hard to pick out one specific player because of their form. E_Elia 25 LC hol 2 9 19 12 has scored a couple of goals from midfield, making him one of there shining lights this term.

Future star

K_Perez 16 RL hol 2 8 18 9 This lad has a couple of assists this term, and next season I would expect even more when Twentes forwards find their shooting boots! That along with his good secondaries make him a good prospect!
Back to top Go down
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:27 am

Sau Paulo - James Maund

If I had written this before the last league game, I wouldve been talking about the possibility of them doing a double in the first ever season!
However, Leicester paid them a visit, and got the three points, which has saw Sau Paulo pretty much cling on to the title chase by a thread. They will be hoping for results to go their way in the next two games to get anythig form the league this season.

James has I feel proven he has what it takes to be a great in AFM, especially when you look at certain areas of his squad. One of his defenders has had more shots than some sides forwards!

Im not saying his season is over, but he really needed a win, or at least a draw versus leicester, which never came, so now he has to sit and hope the others throw it away, will they do that?

Transfer history

Obina signed for Sau Paulo from scout for a fee of 19,745,985
(Obina 25 C bra 1 8 8 20 30 500 500 500 500)

From Sau Paulo to Sevilla
Defenderns 19 L arg 2 17 3 10
From Sevilla to Sau Paulo
Defenderns 19 C eng 2 17 10 3

Obina has proven to be a let down, only one goal from his sides leading shots on target man. Luckilly, they have been able to rely on goldon oldie
Dagoberto 33 C bra 1 3 10 19 who has managed 8 goals for the brazilians. With him due to retire, where will that leave them on the goal front next season? Obina will really have to step up to the plate!

Next season

James is a masterfull tacticial, but with three first team players due to retire EOS, that leaves him with some big holes to fill in his squad. It will be interesting to watch how he gos about doing this.

Star Player - Dagoberto 33 C bra 1 3 10 19 8 goals says it all. How James must which he wasnt leaving the game!

Future star - A_Silva 20 RLC bra 2 19 11 11 Well, possibly a star already, but this lads stats stand him out from the crowd. He has had 22 shots this season! OK, so none have gone in, but law of averages says they will do one day, possibly in the cup final? who knows
Back to top Go down
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:27 am

All done lads, I hope you enjoy the read!
Back to top Go down
Rags
Sunday League
Sunday League

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 12:27 pm

Top read mate.
Back to top Go down
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Rags wrote:
Top read mate.

have you noticed your star rating john? looks like your the first to go up!
Back to top Go down
Rags
Sunday League
Sunday League

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 8:27 pm

Nah mate, what star rating?
Back to top Go down
Rags
Sunday League
Sunday League

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Is it to do with posts, nothing new there hey, too much time on my hands!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 12:04 am

Rags wrote:

yeah its posts, your now "sunday league",

just like cov really ;-)
Back to top Go down
James - Sau Paulo
Need to practice
Need to practice

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 3:09 pm

Great read mate
Back to top Go down
Rags
Sunday League
Sunday League

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 5:10 pm

Scott - Bordeaux wrote:
Rags wrote:

yeah its posts, your now "sunday league",

just like cov really ;-)

If only we were that exciting, these days!!

I'm sure everyone that knows us will agree that's it's bizarre that Leicester and Coventry should be the top two, what with mine and your hsitory and debates on the matter!! afro
Back to top Go down
Scott - Bordeaux
Admin
Scott - Bordeaux

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 5:50 pm

you know what they say mate, the cream always rises hahaha
Back to top Go down
Rags
Sunday League
Sunday League

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 6:43 pm

Scott - Bordeaux wrote:
you know what they say mate, the cream always rises hahaha

Funny you should say that, I've just said that on another thread, in another game, in another debate with you Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
stela
Need to practice
Need to practice

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 3:04 pm

I expect him to make some crucial signings in the off season, he is a shrewd negotiator, so I would expect some nig naes coming his way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: League one - season review   League one - season review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

League one - season review
Page 1 of 1